Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Live-Tweeting or Live-Blogging: A Lesson in Convergence














A story, with a lesson:

Live blogging any event that people outside would like to attend is a great way to gain followers, position your social media voice, and establish clearly how you’re using the channel. We know that.

But ignore the connections between NEW(!) media and traditional powerhouses at your own peril.

My boss at the agency was part of a panel discussion where leaders of prominent Cincinnati organizations shared their lessons and challenges on managing through the current economic … er … situation.

When I live-tweeted that Cincinnati Business Courier event last week, my purpose was to share the best tips and strategies those CEOs offered. I knew it would go farther than that, but had no idea it would become actual news.

Business Owner Insights, featured CEOs from Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center, Bank of Kentucky, PayCor and, of course, Powers Agency. Courier Publisher Doug Bolton led the discussion on general management, finances, HR, you name it. It was very well planned and organized, and my fellow attendees told me afterward that they gained quite a bit from the discussion.

Me too, though probably not as much as some others.

You see, I live-tweeted the entire thing.

Takeaway:


When you’re planning a social media-friendly event, consider live-blogging. But also consider who should be doing the blogging or tweeting.

Are you documenting the event or experiencing it?

You can the whole thread here.

Or just follow me here.

If you're into that sort of thing.



1 comment:

Mike Boehmer said...

Great thoughts. My Inner Journalist comes out when I tweet from breakfasts, luncheons, conferences... My goal is to help those who might not be able to attend to "experience" the event through my 140-character reports. It's also a great way to connect with those who are attending the event. I fear that I share too many "reports," but the feedback is mostly positive -- and people appreciate the opportunity to share in what I'm learning and experiencing.